Re: 2021-11-11 release announcement draft

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2021-11-11 release announcement draft
Date: 2021-11-10 19:07:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/9/21 10:39 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 11:25:37AM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Attached please find a draft of the release announcement for 2021-11-11.
>> Please provide any feedback no later than Thu, Nov 11, 2021 0:00 AoE[1].
>
>> Bug Fixes and Improvements
>> --------------------------
>>
>> This update fixes over 40 bugs that were reported in the last several months.
>> Some of these issues only affect version 14, but could also apply to other
>> supported versions.
>
> The part after "but" reads oddly to me. I would just delete the sentence.

I'll change to:

"Some of these issues only affect PostgreSQL 14, but may also apply to
other supported versions of PostgreSQL."

I'm a strong -1 on dropping the sentence altogether given the release
announcement only highlights fixes known to be in $LATEST, but they may
also be fixed in releases < $LATEST.

> * Fix causes of `CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY` and `REINDEX CONCURRENTLY` writing
> corrupt indexes. You should reindex any concurrently-built indexes.

Done.

>> * Disallow `ALTER INDEX index ALTER COLUMN col SET (options)`.
>
> I'd drop this since the feature was unusable before.

Done.

> Please add something like:
>
> * Fix REINDEX CONCURRENTLY to preserve operator class parameters that were
> attached to the target index

I wondered how widely this affected users, which is why I had initially
omitted it. I looked at the test cases provided in f255de9a45 and for
that case, the only reference I could find to the opsclass parameter was
on[1], and that was after a nontrivial bit of searching.

I know operator classes are more frequently attached to indexes, but I
haven't seen parameters very often.

Happy to be convinced otherwise (maybe this is used more than I
realize?), but I'm not sure if we need that bullet point in the release
announcement.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/textsearch-indexes.html