Re: 2021-11-11 release announcement draft

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2021-11-11 release announcement draft
Date: 2021-11-11 03:47:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 02:07:43PM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 11/9/21 10:39 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 11:25:37AM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> >>Attached please find a draft of the release announcement for 2021-11-11.
> >>Please provide any feedback no later than Thu, Nov 11, 2021 0:00 AoE[1].
> >
> >>Bug Fixes and Improvements
> >>--------------------------
> >>
> >>This update fixes over 40 bugs that were reported in the last several months.
> >>Some of these issues only affect version 14, but could also apply to other
> >>supported versions.
> >
> >The part after "but" reads oddly to me. I would just delete the sentence.
>
> I'll change to:
>
> "Some of these issues only affect PostgreSQL 14, but may also apply to other
> supported versions of PostgreSQL."

I think that's equivalent to, "Some of these issues only affect PostgreSQL 14.
The issues that only affect PostgreSQL 14 may also apply to other supported
versions of PostgreSQL." That contradiction is the problem. This spot calls
for "Not all issues affect all supported versions of PostgreSQL." or
equivalent.

> I'm a strong -1 on dropping the sentence altogether given the release
> announcement only highlights fixes known to be in $LATEST, but they may also
> be fixed in releases < $LATEST.

Okay.