Re: Frontend error logging style

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Frontend error logging style
Date: 2021-11-10 19:25:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Hmm, interesting. Taking up my point #2, I'd been thinking about
> proposing that we convert
> pg_log_error("query failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
> pg_log_error("query was: %s", todo);
> pg_log_error("query failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
> pg_log_error_detail("Query was: %s", todo);

After looking around a bit, I see that a lot of these add-on messages
are more nearly hints than details, so we'd probably better support
both those cases right off the bat.

To move things along a bit, here's a draft patch to logging.h/.c only
to implement what I'm envisioning. I don't think there's much point
in doing the per-call-site gruntwork until we have agreement on what
the API is, so this seems like enough for discussion.

(As a fervent hater of colorization, I don't have an opinion about
whether or how to colorize the "detail:" and "hint:" fragments.
But I'll happily take somebody else's adjustment to add that.)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
frontend-logging-API-revision-wip.patch text/x-diff 8.0 KB