Re: 2021-11-11 release announcement draft

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2021-11-11 release announcement draft
Date: 2021-11-10 03:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 11:25:37AM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Attached please find a draft of the release announcement for 2021-11-11.
> Please provide any feedback no later than Thu, Nov 11, 2021 0:00 AoE[1].

> Bug Fixes and Improvements
> --------------------------
>
> This update fixes over 40 bugs that were reported in the last several months.
> Some of these issues only affect version 14, but could also apply to other
> supported versions.

The part after "but" reads oddly to me. I would just delete the sentence.

> * Fix `CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY` to wait for the latest prepared transactions.
> If you have enabled prepared transactions (`max_prepared_transactions` > 0), you
> should reindex any concurrently built indexes.

The other CONCURRENTLY fix ("Avoid race condition" in the release notes) is
broader, so please replace the above entry with something like this, not even
mentioning prepared transactions:

* Fix causes of `CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY` and `REINDEX CONCURRENTLY` writing
corrupt indexes. You should reindex any concurrently-built indexes.

> * Disallow `ALTER INDEX index ALTER COLUMN col SET (options)`.

I'd drop this since the feature was unusable before.

Please add something like:

* Fix REINDEX CONCURRENTLY to preserve operator class parameters that were
attached to the target index