Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient
Date: 2018-03-20 18:50:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=) writes:
> > Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> >> I just want to test for modules that we know are likely to be omitted
> >> on popular platforms. I've proposed testing two that would improve
> >> the user experience on Red Hat; what's the equivalent minimum set for
> >> Debian?
>
> > On Debian (I've checked the previous and current stable releases, as
> > well as unstable) the only package required by the TAP tests not in
> > perl-base is Time::HiRes. Of the modules required by PL/Perl, Opcode is
> > not in perl-base either.
>
> Ah, thanks. Not sure we need to make an explicit test for Opcode; we've
> not heard of anyone not having that.

In Debian stable, Opcode is in package libperl5.24. This probably
explains why nobody runs into trouble with it, since libperl is already
checked by configure for other reasons. Not sure about the RH world.

> Anyway, I propose the attached. It produces output like
>
> checking for perl module IPC::Run... ok
> checking for perl module Test::More 0.87... no
> checking for perl module Time::HiRes... ok
> configure: error: Additional Perl modules are required to run TAP tests

This seems good to me.

Time::HiRes is also in libperl5.24, so as far Debian goes, that one
would be unnecessary; but IPC::Run and Test::More are in separate
packages (libipc-run-perl and libtest-base-perl, respectively.)

As for the others Dagfinn mentioned, most seem to be in perl-base, and a
few in perl-modules-5.24, which is depended upon by libperl5.24, so I
think the proposed set is good enough for now.