Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=)
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient
Date: 2018-03-20 19:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Ah, thanks. Not sure we need to make an explicit test for Opcode; we've
>> not heard of anyone not having that.
>
> In Debian stable, Opcode is in package libperl5.24. This probably
> explains why nobody runs into trouble with it, since libperl is already
> checked by configure for other reasons. Not sure about the RH world.

Yes, libperl5.xx is pulled in by libperl-dev, which is needed for
PL/Perl anyway.

>> Anyway, I propose the attached. It produces output like
>>
>> checking for perl module IPC::Run... ok
>> checking for perl module Test::More 0.87... no
>> checking for perl module Time::HiRes... ok
>> configure: error: Additional Perl modules are required to run TAP tests
>
> This seems good to me.
>
> Time::HiRes is also in libperl5.24, so as far Debian goes, that one
> would be unnecessary;

libperl5.xx is not pulled in if you only have perl-base, you need to
install 'perl' to get that. But Debian isn't really the problem, because
when we say we require perl, people do 'apt install perl' which gives
them the whole shebang.

> but IPC::Run and Test::More are in separate packages (libipc-run-perl
> and libtest-base-perl, respectively.)

Test::More is in perl-modules-5.xx, which is pulled in by 'perl'.

> As for the others Dagfinn mentioned, most seem to be in perl-base, and a
> few in perl-modules-5.24, which is depended upon by libperl5.24, so I
> think the proposed set is good enough for now.

I agree.

- ilmari
--
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen