Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient
Date: 2018-03-20 19:06:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ah, thanks. Not sure we need to make an explicit test for Opcode; we've
>> not heard of anyone not having that.

> In Debian stable, Opcode is in package libperl5.24. This probably
> explains why nobody runs into trouble with it, since libperl is already
> checked by configure for other reasons. Not sure about the RH world.

[ pokes around ] Opcode is in the base perl package on RHEL6;
on Fedora 28, it's in perl-interpreter. Either way, it's in the same
package as /usr/bin/perl, so ain't nobody not gonna have it.

> As for the others Dagfinn mentioned, most seem to be in perl-base, and a
> few in perl-modules-5.24, which is depended upon by libperl5.24, so I
> think the proposed set is good enough for now.

Sounds good. We can always tweak the list some more if the situation
changes, or if we hear from someone using a different distro that slices
things up yet differently. But I don't feel a need to expend configure
cycles on purely hypothetical configurations. I imagine that most
off-the-beaten-track cases would involve hand-built Perl installations,
and those will almost certainly have all of "Perl core". So I think
as long as we cover what the major Linux distros are doing, that's
probably good enough.