Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=)
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient
Date: 2018-03-20 18:04:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=) writes:
>> I just want to test for modules that we know are likely to be omitted
>> on popular platforms. I've proposed testing two that would improve
>> the user experience on Red Hat; what's the equivalent minimum set for
>> Debian?

> On Debian (I've checked the previous and current stable releases, as
> well as unstable) the only package required by the TAP tests not in
> perl-base is Time::HiRes. Of the modules required by PL/Perl, Opcode is
> not in perl-base either.

Ah, thanks. Not sure we need to make an explicit test for Opcode; we've
not heard of anyone not having that.

> BTW, should include the version in the Test::More check, since we only
> requie Perl 5.8, but that only shipped Test::More 0.47, while we require
> 0.97.

Good point, though it looks to me like we're requiring 0.87 not 0.97?

Anyway, I propose the attached. It produces output like

checking for perl module IPC::Run... ok
checking for perl module Test::More 0.87... no
checking for perl module Time::HiRes... ok
configure: error: Additional Perl modules are required to run TAP tests

which seems a better approach to me than making the user find out one
at a time which modules are needed.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
check-for-more-perl-modules-in-configure.patch text/x-diff 2.7 KB