Re: reducing isolation tests runtime

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reducing isolation tests runtime
Date: 2018-01-25 20:34:15
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:

> > I think we could solve this by putting in the same parallel group only
> > slow tests that mostly sleeps, ie. nothing that would monopolize CPU for
> > long enough to cause a problem. Concretely:
> > test: timeouts tuplelock-update deadlock-hard deadlock-soft-2
>
> OK, but there'd better be a comment there explaining the concern
> very precisely, or somebody will break it.

Here's a concrete proposal. Runtime is 45.7 seconds on my laptop. It
can be further reduced, but not by more than a second or two unless you
get in the business of modifying other tests. (I only modified
deadlock-soft-2 because it saves 5 seconds).

Admittedly the new isolation_schedule file is a bit ugly.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Parallelize-isolation-tests-a-bit.patch text/plain 7.4 KB