Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Add --no-comments to skip COMMENTs with pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Add --no-comments to skip COMMENTs with pg_dump
Date: 2018-01-25 20:33:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Attached is an updated patch (v4) with basic tests for pg_dump / pg_dumpall.

I've reviewed and pushed this, after making some changes so that the
switch works in pg_restore as well, and minor cosmetic adjustments.

The changes in t/002_pg_dump.pl largely failed to apply, which is
partially due to the age of the patch but IMO speaks more to the
unmaintainability of that TAP test. It still didn't run after I'd
manually fixed the merge failures, so I gave up in disgust and
did not push any of the test changes. If someone is excited enough
about testing this, they can submit a followon patch for that,
but I judge it not really worth either the human effort or the
future testing cycles.

(Am I right in thinking that 002_pg_dump.pl is, by design, roughly
O(N^2) in the number of features tested? Ick.)