Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Date: 2001-09-10 20:54:04
Lists: pgsql-general

bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net> writes:

> I'm looking to make a DB server for a project I'm working on (using pgsql)
> and am wondering if people have suggestions?
>
> Thoughts:
>
> - Hardware: dual / quad Intel class

Athlon gives more bang for the buck - the dual Athlons are _really_
nice, and have proven stable as well.

> - Disk: SCSI Raid 1+0

I'd probably go for a 3ware RAID instead... IDE disks are so much
cheaper nowadays than SCSI, and the premium isn't really justifiable
anymore.

> - OS: Prolly FreeBSD (FFS is your friend (what with syncs and all) and it
> can do multi proc support

I'd recommend Linux, which has more mature MP support and scales
better, but I'm obviously biased :). It's of course very important to
keep what you are familiar with - a good sysadmin makes a world of
difference no matter what you're using.

> - Ram: Not really sure here. Is there math somewhere for ram needs for
> pgsql? I imagine is has something to do with # connections, db size,
> etc.

"More is better. RAM is cheap. Avoid RAMBUS".

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.