How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

From: bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Date: 2001-09-10 18:49:02
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm looking to make a DB server for a project I'm working on (using pgsql)
and am wondering if people have suggestions?

Thoughts:

- Hardware: dual / quad Intel class
- OS: Prolly FreeBSD (FFS is your friend (what with syncs and all) and it
can do multi proc support
- Disk: SCSI Raid 1+0
- Ram: Not really sure here. Is there math somewhere for ram needs for
pgsql? I imagine is has something to do with # connections, db size,
etc.

Any people have any comments?

- Brandon

b. palmer, bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5