Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

From: "Randy Hall" <rthall3(at)home(dot)com>
To: "bpalmer" <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Date: 2001-09-11 02:41:57
Lists: pgsql-general

I second the RAM point. Not only is more better, you also need to configure
postgres to use it. You will need to take the average size of your
backends, the number of concurrent connections you expect and the amount of
RAM you want postgres to leave for the OS and all the other processes. This
will let you back into the proper buffer setting to best use the available
RAM without letting the postmaster go to swap space. Buffers are not the
only variable for memory. You need to allow space in ram for sort memory as
well.

As far as disks go. You cannot have too many spindles. But the number of
spindles you have available depends on which pieces of postgres get split
onto dedicated spindles.

A note on SMP. Postgres is not a threaded application. The best you can
hope for is that multiple connections get spread over multiple processors.
Each individual connection lives on a single CPU.

Tunning is somewhat of a black art to get the right balance. If you have to
make a choice, buy fewer processors, faster disks, and as much RAM as the
board will handle.

--
Randy Hall - Red Hat Certified Engineer - Ex-Great Bridge PostgreSQL Expert
Resume: http://members.home.net/rthall3