Re: [PG95-DEV] Rule system

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: wieck(at)sapserv(dot)debis(dot)de, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PG95-DEV] Rule system
Date: 1998-07-08 18:34:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > The simple way is to reduce the capabilities of the Postgres
> > > rule system. Changing the syntax of the CREATE RULE to
> > >
> > > CREATE RULE rule AS { BEFORE | AFTER } event TO table
> > > DO [ INSTEAD ] { action | NOTHING }
> > >
> > > would tell the rewrite handler, if the rule actions have to
> > > be applied before or after the query. Respectively only NEW
> > > or CURRENT could be referenced in the rules qualification and
> > > actions. I don't like this simple way, but I think it's the
> > > only possibility that would work without reincarnating the
> > > instance rule system.
> >
> > Good description of the problem. If adding BEFORE/AFTER makes it easier
> > to program, do it. I don't think we are losing any functionality by
> > doing this, and the rule system is advertized as being broken, so there
> > is probably not a huge installed base.
> >
> > We now have something that doesn't work. If you can get it working, do
> > it. The change makes it clearer to the user exactly how the rule is
> > going to behave, too.
>
> Jan, I remember you steering away from rewrite cleanups because we were
> so close to 6.3. Any chance you can make those changes for 6.4, or are
> you already working on them? We really need cleanup in the rewrite
> area, and I understand you can do it.

I hoped to get pl/pgsql finished before 6.4, but since I got
some private trouble and much serious work, I fear to miss
that target too. Haven't had my fingers on PostgreSQL at all
for the last weeks.

But you're right, the rewrite handler still needs work and
since I spent much time to understand the code it would be
wasted time if someone else has to do it.

Let's see if I find some time sometimes :-)

> --
> Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> + If your life is a hard drive, | (610) 353-9879(w)
> + Christ can be your backup. | (610) 853-3000(h)

Until later, Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #