Some items for the TODO list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Some items for the TODO list
Date: 1998-07-08 23:26:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Things I'd like to see get in there before 6.4:

1. On HPUX, the new no-exec method of starting the backend means that
all the backends claim to be "postmaster"; there's no way to tell 'em
apart via ps(1). There is some code in postgres.c that tries to update
the process title information by tweaking the original argv[] array, but
that just plain doesn't work under HPUX, nor under quite a few other
Unix variants. I'm finding out that not being able to tell which
process is which is a real pain in the neck; I don't think it will be
acceptable for production use. I think we are going to have to bite the
bullet and borrow the process-title-setting code from sendmail --- I
know it's ugly, but it *works* on many many Unixes.

2. I'm starting to get annoyed by the inability to "unlisten" from
a particular relation. Is there a reason that there is not an UNLISTEN
command? (Like maybe it's not in ANSI SQL?) Or is it just something
that never got to the top of the to-do queue? I see that the low-level
code for a backend to unlisten itself is in there, but there's no way
for the frontend to command it to happen.

If no one else feels like working on these, maybe I will. I could use
some pointers for #2 though ... what needs to be done to add a new SQL
statement?