Re: [PG95-DEV] Rule system

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: wieck(at)sapserv(dot)debis(dot)de
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: Re: [PG95-DEV] Rule system
Date: 1998-07-04 23:57:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The simple way is to reduce the capabilities of the Postgres
> > rule system. Changing the syntax of the CREATE RULE to
> >
> > CREATE RULE rule AS { BEFORE | AFTER } event TO table
> > DO [ INSTEAD ] { action | NOTHING }
> >
> > would tell the rewrite handler, if the rule actions have to
> > be applied before or after the query. Respectively only NEW
> > or CURRENT could be referenced in the rules qualification and
> > actions. I don't like this simple way, but I think it's the
> > only possibility that would work without reincarnating the
> > instance rule system.
>
> Good description of the problem. If adding BEFORE/AFTER makes it easier
> to program, do it. I don't think we are losing any functionality by
> doing this, and the rule system is advertized as being broken, so there
> is probably not a huge installed base.
>
> We now have something that doesn't work. If you can get it working, do
> it. The change makes it clearer to the user exactly how the rule is
> going to behave, too.

Jan, I remember you steering away from rewrite cleanups because we were
so close to 6.3. Any chance you can make those changes for 6.4, or are
you already working on them? We really need cleanup in the rewrite
area, and I understand you can do it.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026