Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Jan Claeys <lists(at)janc(dot)be>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-07 00:14:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 07:27 +0200, Chris Travers wrote:
> The real fear here is the code of conduct being co-opted as a weapon
> of world-wide culture war and that's what is driving a lot of the
> resistance here. This is particularly an American problem here and
> it causes a lot of resistance among people who were, until the
> second world war, subject to some pretty serious problems by colonial
> powers.

I don't see how this could happen any more than it already can, because
as far as I can tell the goal is not to discuss complaints in public;
the committee would handle cases in private. And if committee members
would try to abuse their power, I'm pretty sure they would be removed.

> Putting a bunch of American lawyers, psychologists, sociologists,
> marketers etc on the board in the name of diversity would do way more
> harm than good.

I didn't say they have to be American, and I didn't say there has to be
a bunch of them. I just said it would be good if there were also
people who aren't (just only) developers, DBAs or other very technical
people.

--
Jan Claeys