Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack
Date: 2018-06-06 22:04:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 11:53:06PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> That would certainly be good. We've always had that problem, even with md5
> -> plaintext password downgrade, and it would be nice to fix it. It's quite
> late in the release cycle already, do you think we should address that now?
> I could go either way..

I would be inclined to treat that as new development as this is no new
problem. Still that's linked with what is discussed on this thread with
scram_channel_bindin_mode.

> What should the option look like? Perhaps something like:
>
> allowed_authentication_methods=md5,SCRAM-SHA-256,SCRAM-SHA-256-PLUS

That's actually a discussion I had with somebody after my talk at
PGCon, and I suggested a comma-separate list of authorized protocols as
well, except that those could just map to the hba entries, and that each
entry could just be lower-case :)
--
Michael