Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-06 05:27:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:07 AM, Jan Claeys <lists(at)janc(dot)be> wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-06-05 at 16:45 +0200, Chris Travers wrote:
> > If I may suggest: The committee should be international as well
> > and include people from around the world. The last thing we want is
> > for it to be dominated by people from one particular cultural
> > viewpoint.
>
> Being international/intercultural certainly has some value, but I think
> it's at least as useful to have people with different competencies and
> professional backgrounds.
>
> For example: having some people who have a background in something like
> psychology, sociology, education, law, human resources, marketing, etc.
> (in addition to the likely much easier to find developers, DBAs and IT
> managers) would be valuable too.

Besides what the others have said I don't think this would help.

The real fear here is the code of conduct being co-opted as a weapon of
world-wide culture war and that's what is driving a lot of the resistance
here. This is particularly an American problem here and it causes a lot
of resistance among people who were, until the second world war, subject to
some pretty serious problems by colonial powers.

Putting a bunch of American lawyers, psychologists, sociologists, marketers
etc on the board in the name of diversity would do way more harm than good.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more