Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-07 07:00:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:14 AM, Jan Claeys <lists(at)janc(dot)be> wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 07:27 +0200, Chris Travers wrote:
> > The real fear here is the code of conduct being co-opted as a weapon
> > of world-wide culture war and that's what is driving a lot of the
> > resistance here. This is particularly an American problem here and
> > it causes a lot of resistance among people who were, until the
> > second world war, subject to some pretty serious problems by colonial
> > powers.
>
> I don't see how this could happen any more than it already can, because
> as far as I can tell the goal is not to discuss complaints in public;
> the committee would handle cases in private. And if committee members
> would try to abuse their power, I'm pretty sure they would be removed.

Right. I think the fears are overblown but you do have to remember that we
started this whole public side of the process when there was a real effort
by some in around open source to push contributor codes of conducts that
were expressly political (the Contributor Covenant for example) and in the
wake of Opalgate.

I do not doubt that at some point we will face the same. I don't doubt
that such efforts will be unsuccessful. But I do think they will put the
project through some public controversy and grief and so we are best off to
try to minimize the attack surface.

> > Putting a bunch of American lawyers, psychologists, sociologists,
> > marketers etc on the board in the name of diversity would do way more
> > harm than good.
>
> I didn't say they have to be American, and I didn't say there has to be
> a bunch of them. I just said it would be good if there were also
> people who aren't (just only) developers, DBAs or other very technical
> people.

Ok I get what your concern is now. I am not sure the formal qualifications
matter but I would agree that the committee needs to be staffed with people
we trust to be good "people people" rather than good "tech people."

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more