Re: Error on pgbench logs

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, rulyox(at)gmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error on pgbench logs
Date: 2021-06-11 14:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bonjour Michaël,

>> + /* flush remaining stats */
>> + if (!logged && latency == 0.0)
>> + logAgg(logfile, agg);
>
> You are right, this is missing the final stats. Why the choice of
> latency here for the check?

For me zero latency really says that there is no actual transaction to
count, so it is a good trigger for the closing call. I did not wish to add
a new "flush" parameter, or a specific function. I agree that it looks
strange, though.

> That's just to make the difference between the case where doLog() is
> called while processing the benchmark for the end of the transaction and
> the case where doLog() is called once a thread ends, no?

Yes.

> Wouldn't it be better to do a final push of the states once a thread
> reaches CSTATE_FINISHED or CSTATE_ABORTED instead?

The call was already in place at the end of threadRun and had just become
ineffective. I did not wish to revisit its place and change the overall
structure, it is just a bug fix. I agree that it could be done differently
with the added logAgg function which could be called directly. Attached
another version which does that.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-log-fix-2.patch text/x-diff 2.4 KB