Re: pg_regress.c also sensitive to various PG* environment variables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress.c also sensitive to various PG* environment variables
Date: 2021-06-11 14:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Jun-11, Michael Paquier wrote:

> Following up with the recent thread that dealt with the same $subject
> for the TAP tests, I have gone through pg_regress.c:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/YLbjjRpucIeZ78VQ@paquier.xyz

Good idea.

> The list of environment variables that had better be reset when using
> a temporary instance is very close to TestLib.pm, leading to the
> attached. Please note that that the list of unsetted parameters has
> been reorganized to be consistent with the TAP tests, and that I have
> added comments referring one and the other.
>
> Thoughts?

I think if they're to be kept in sync, then the exceptions should be
noted. I mean, where PGCLIENTENCODING would otherwise be, I'd add
/* PGCLIENTENCODING set above */
/* See below for PGHOSTADDR */
and so on (PGHOST and PGPORT probably don't need this because they're
immediately below; not sure; but I would put them in alphabetical order
in both lists for sure and then that wouldn't apply). Otherwise I would
think that it's an omission and would set to fix it.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W