Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup
Date: 2022-05-04 06:47:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 5:49 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for updating the patches for all my prior feedback.
>
> For v12* I have only minor feedback for the docs.
>
> ======
> V12-0001
>
> no comments
>
> ======
> V12-0002
>
> 1. Commit message
>
> In another thread using the terminology "multi-master" seems to be
> causing some problems. Maybe you should choose different wording in
> this commit message to avoid having the same problems?

I felt, we can leave this to committer

> ~~~
>
> 2. doc/src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml
>
> These are all similar minor wording suggestions to split the sentences.
> Wording: ", here copy_data is specified as XXX ..." -> ". Use
> copy_data specified as XXX ..."
>
> Also:
> Wording: "... to subscribe the changes from nodeXXX..."
> -> "... to subscribe to the changes from nodeXXX... " (add "to")
> -> "... to subscribe to nodeXXX." (or I preferred just remove the
> whole "changes" part)
>
> 2a.
> Create a subscription in node3 to subscribe the changes from node1,
> here copy_data is specified as force so that the existing table data
> is copied during initial sync:
>
> SUGGESTION
> Create a subscription in node3 to subscribe to node1. Use copy_data
> specified as force so that the existing table data is copied during
> initial sync:

Modified

> 2b.
> Create a subscription in node1 to subscribe the changes fromnode3,
> here copy_data is specified as force so that the existing table data
> is copied during initial sync:
>
> SUGGESTION
> Create a subscription in node1 to subscribe to node3. Use copy_data
> specified as force so that the existing table data is copied during
> initial sync:

Modified

> 2c.
> Create a subscription in node2 to subscribe the changes from node3,
> here copy_data is specified as force so that the existing table data
> is copied during initial sync:
>
> SUGGESTION
> Create a subscription in node2 to subscribe to node3. Use copy_data
> specified as force so that the existing table data is copied during
> initial sync:

Modified

> 2d.
> Create a subscription in node3 to subscribe the changes from node1,
> here copy_data is specified as force when creating a subscription to
> node1 so that the existing table data is copied during initial sync:
>
> SUGGESTION
> Create a subscription in node3 to subscribe to node1. Use copy_data
> specified as force when creating a subscription to node1 so that the
> existing table data is copied during initial sync:

Modified

> 2e.
> Create a subscription in node3 to subscribe the changes from node2,
> here copy_data is specified as off as the initial table data would
> have been copied in the earlier step:
>
> SUGGESTION (this one has a bit more re-wording than the others)
> Create a subscription in node3 to subscribe to node2. Use copy_data
> specified as off because the initial table data would have been
> already copied in the previous step:

Modified

> ~~~
>
> 3. doc/src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml
>
> 31.11.2. Adding new node when there is no data in any of the nodes
> 31.11.3. Adding new node when data is present in the existing nodes
> 31.11.4. Adding new node when data is present in the new node
>
> Minor change to the above heading?
>
> Wording: "Adding new node ..." -> "Adding a new node ..."

Modified

Thanks for the comments, the attached v13 patch has the changes for the same.

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v13-0001-Skip-replication-of-non-local-data.patch text/x-patch 53.7 KB
v13-0002-Support-force-option-for-copy_data-check-and-thr.patch text/x-patch 47.5 KB