Re: Skipping schema changes in publication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skipping schema changes in publication
Date: 2022-05-04 04:14:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 9:32 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Another idea that occurred to me today for tables this is as follows:
> > 1. Allow to mention except during create publication ... For All Tables.
> > CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES EXCEPT TABLE t1,t2;
> > 2. Allow to Reset it. This new syntax will reset all objects in the
> > publications.
> > Alter Publication ... RESET;
> > 3. Allow to add it to an existing publication
> > Alter Publication ... Add ALL TABLES [EXCEPT TABLE t1,t2];
> >
> > I think it can be extended in a similar way for schema syntax as well.
> >

> Consider if the user does
> CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES EXCEPT TABLE t1,t2;
> ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD ALL TABLES EXCEPT t3,t4;
>
> What does it mean?
> e.g. Is there only one exception list that is modified? Or did the ADD
> ALL TABLES override all meaning of the original list?
> e.g. Are we now skipping t1,t2,t3,t4, or are we now only skipping t3,t4?

This won't be allowed. We won't allow changing ALL TABLES publication
unless the user first performs RESET. This is the purpose of providing
the RESET variant.

> ~~~
>
> Here is a similar example, where the ADD TABLE seems confusing to me
> when it intersects with a prior EXCEPT
> e.g.
> CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES EXCEPT t1,t2; // ok
> ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD TABLE t1; ???
>
> What does it mean?
> e.g. Does the explicit ADD TABLE override the original exception list?
> e.g. Is t1 published now or should that ALTER have caused an error?

This won't be allowed either. We don't allow to Add/Drop from All
Tables publication unless the user performs a RESET. This is true even
today except that we don't have a RESET syntax.

> ~~
>
> It feels like there are too many tricky rules when using EXCEPT with
> ALTER PUBLICATION. I guess complexities can be described in the
> documentation but IMO it would be better if the ALTER syntax could be
> unambiguous in the first place.

Agreed.

> So perhaps the rules should be more
> restrictive (e.g. just disallow ALTER ... ADD any table that overlaps
> the existing EXCEPT list ??)

I think the current proposal seems to be restrictive enough to avoid
any tricky issues. Do you see any other problem?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.