Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-12 16:39:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj> wrote:

> There is also stackexchange question with 51000 views that asks how to
> start the postgresql client. Should we rename psql to mysql to help
> new users too?

No, we shouldn't but it will help a lot is postgres client have names like
"postgres", "postgres-client" or "portgres-sql". Even pgsql is better than
psql. On mysql normally you type mysql then tab and bash show all mysql
tools.

> Ctrl-D works almost everywhere. It takes 2 seconds to find the answer
> and there are going to be many other things you have to find out if
> you're coming at PostgreSQL from a different DB.

Not everybody knows CTRL-D.

> As others have pointed out, there are _far_ more frustrating things
> (like the lack of SHOW CREATE [TABLE|etc]... support in the backend)
> for anyone coming from mysql that I would suggest should be addressed
> if you were serious about making life easier for those moving DBs.

Well theres lots of hungry people in the world, maybe we should stop
improve software tool until everyone have food.