Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-12 15:02:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wouldn't exactly say -1 but it's a "meh" from me.

On 8 December 2017 at 13:57, Daniel Vérité" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org> wrote:
> "How to exit from PostgreSQL command line utility: psql"
>
> now at 430k views and 1368 upvotes.

There is also stackexchange question with 51000 views that asks how to
start the postgresql client. Should we rename psql to mysql to help
new users too?

Ctrl-D works almost everywhere. It takes 2 seconds to find the answer
and there are going to be many other things you have to find out if
you're coming at PostgreSQL from a different DB.

As others have pointed out, there are _far_ more frustrating things
(like the lack of SHOW CREATE [TABLE|etc]... support in the backend)
for anyone coming from mysql that I would suggest should be addressed
if you were serious about making life easier for those moving DBs.

Geoff