Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-12 16:54:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 December 2017 at 16:39, Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj> wrote:
>> There is also stackexchange question with 51000 views that asks how to
>> start the postgresql client. Should we rename psql to mysql to help
>> new users too?

> No, we shouldn't but it will help a lot is postgres client have names like
> "postgres", "postgres-client" or "portgres-sql". Even pgsql is better than
> psql. On mysql normally you type mysql then tab and bash show all mysql
> tools.

If you're going down _that_ route I'd vote for pg_sql since we have
pg_dump and pg_ctl etc.

But in order to know how to call those things you would still need to
find out what they are. You think that typing mysql<tab> is "natural"
but you only know how to do it because someone told you to type
"mysql" to run the client.

> Not everybody knows CTRL-D.

And it takes two seconds to find the answer if you don't. Adding
"quit" and/or "exit" would save each person a maximum of one web
search per lifetime and would just confuse the paradigm that
backslashed commands are handled by the client.

> Well theres lots of hungry people in the world, maybe we should stop improve
> software tool until everyone have food.

That's a nonsense metaphor. If you said "there's lots of hungry people
in the world, maybe we should stop bakers making croissants until
everyone has bread" it might be slightly more appropriate.

Geoff