Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2016-01-11 11:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 01/10/2016 06:19 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> No arguments with what was written above.

+1. Very well written.

> If we had an "issue" tracker rather than a bug tracker, I'd expect a
>> lot more unproductive bickering.
>>

> This I disagree with. It wouldn't be any worse than we have now. An issue
> tracker (if it is a good one) becomes the forum, whether you use an email
> or web interface. So expect at least as much banter as there is on lists
> but with a much easier management interface.

We can argue about if it's actually an easier management interface ;)

I'd agree with Robert in that it will cause some more such bickering -- but
only because the discussions become visible to a new group of people as
well. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But thinking that having such an
issue tracker is actually going to help *get rid of* the pointless part of
things is a nice dream, but just a dream. The only advantage I can see of
it is to increase the visibility of them.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/