Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Date: 2016-01-11 11:14:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:36 AM, David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> When executing a query using \watch in psql the first execution of the query
> includes "Title is [...]" when \pset title is in use. Subsequent executions
> do not. Once that first display goes off-screen the information in the
> title is no longer readily accessible. If using \watch for a long-running
> monitoring query it can be helpful to incorporate some context information
> into the title.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea to show it at each iteration if the
title is set. I am not sure we would want to treat that as a bug fix
as nothing is broken, it looks more like a new feature.

> Any suggestions for a better way to accomplish the goal?

What I have been doing in such cases until now is updating the name of
the terminal tab to identify what was going on.
--
Michael