Re: CommitFest #3 and upcoming schedule

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Kohei Kaigai <Kohei(dot)Kaigai(at)emea(dot)nec(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, MIchael <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Pavel Stěhule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jameison Martin <jameisonb(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tomáš Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, Alexander LAW <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, "marko(dot)tiikkaja" <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>, Joachim Wieland <Joachim(dot)Wieland(at)gmail(dot)com>, Will Leinweber <will(at)heroku(dot)com>, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oskari Saarenmaa <os(at)ohmu(dot)fi>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CommitFest #3 and upcoming schedule
Date: 2012-12-09 15:56:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 November 2012 07:20, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Project guidelines now ask each patch submitter to review patches of the
> same number and approximate complexity as they submit. If you've submitted
> some items to the CommitFest, please look at the open list and try to find
> something you can review.

The deadline for 9.3 is looming and many patches have not yet been reviewed.

I'm sending a public reminder to all patch authors that they should
review other people's patches if they expect their own to be reviewed.

Simply put, if you don't help each other by reviewing other patches
then the inevitable result will be your patch will not be neither
reviewed nor committed.

PostgreSQL has always maintained high standards and the QA process for
all code is for it to be reviewed/discussed prior to commit, which is
known as "peer review". The PostgreSQL project is fortunate to have so
many keen developers, though for some time now there has been an
imbalance between the amount of code to review and the amount of time
available to do those reviews. I suggested that we encourage peer
review by developers, on the basis of "one patch, one review" as a way
of solving the problem. Since many/most people are submitting patches
as part of their professional job, this message needs to be passed on
to your bosses so they are able to allocate sufficient time for you to
do both development *and* peer review. Future planning needs to take
into account the time/cost of both of those tasks.

Let's bring balance to the situation through our own actions. Please
review one patch now for every one you submitted.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/