Re: Built-in binning functions

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in binning functions
Date: 2014-08-31 17:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 August 2014 18:24, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> 3. I am thinking about name - I don't think so varwidth_bucket is correct
>> -- in relation to name "width_bucket" ... what about "range_bucket" or
>> "scope_bucket" ?
>
> Neither of those seem like improvements from here. I agree with the
> objections to bin() as well. bucket() might be all right but it still
> seems a bit too generic. width_bucket(), which at least shows there's
> a relationship to the standard functions, still seems like the best
> of the suggestions so far.

I'd been mulling that over and agree with objections to bin()

Suggest discretize() as a much more informative name. The other names
will be overlooked by anybody that doesn't already know what to look
for.

Thanks for the polymorphic patch, that sounds good. Sorry, not
reviewed more deeply (still travelling).