Re: Built-in binning functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in binning functions
Date: 2014-08-31 18:00:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Suggest discretize() as a much more informative name. The other names
> will be overlooked by anybody that doesn't already know what to look
> for.

I did not like that idea to begin with, but it's growing more attractive.
In particular, I think it would be unique enough that we could safely
mark the polymorphic function as variadic (a move that would cause
ambiguity issues for pretty nearly any user-defined function of the
same name).

OTOH, I'm not as convinced as you that this name would mean anything
to "anybody that doesn't already know what to look for". It still
seems like rather arcane terminology.