Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns
Date: 2014-08-31 17:46:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane-2 wrote
> Bruce Momjian &lt;

> bruce@

> &gt; writes:
>> I have developed the attached patch to warn about column reordering in
>> this odd case. The patch mentions the reordering of c:
>
>> NOTICE: merging column "a" with inherited definition
>> NOTICE: merging column "c" with inherited definition; column moved
>> earlier to match inherited column location
>
> This does not comport with our error message style guidelines.
> You could put the additional information as an errdetail sentence,
> perhaps.

Would it be proper to issue an additional top-level warning with the column
moved notification? Thus there would be NOTICE, NOTICE, WARNING in the
above example? Or, more generically, "columns reordered to match inherited
column order" to avoid multiple warnings if more than one column is moved.

David J.