Re: pgbench --startup option

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench --startup option
Date: 2013-06-25 15:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I've fixed a conflict, and I've removed extraneous semicolons from the C.
>
> I've left in the fixing of some existing bad indenting in the existing code,
> which is not strictly related to my change.

OK, I like this idea a lot, but I have a question. Right now, to use
this, you have to supply the startup SQL on the command line. And
that could definitely be useful. But ISTM that you might also want to
take the startup SQL from a file, and indeed you might well want to
include metacommands in there. Maybe that's getting greedy, but the
rate at which people are adding features to pgbench suggests to me
that it won't be long before this isn't enough.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company