Re: Packed Varlena Update (v21)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Packed Varlena Update (v21)
Date: 2007-04-06 16:38:34
Lists: pgsql-patches

> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> Forgot to mention: one of the revisions was to not add the "sizes.sql"
>> test, because the output was platform-dependent and is likely to get
>> more so if any ability to change the toast thresholds gets put in.
>> Can we improve that test to not expose any platform-dependent numbers?

> I had imagined that we would have two versions of output files. Other than
> 32-bit versus 64-bit what other platform-dependent variations enter into it?

If there'd be only two then I'd be all right with it, but I'm worried
that making TOAST thresholds configurable would result in lots more
possible outputs than that.

BTW, another area that should be kept on the TODO list is to see whether
it makes sense to support 1-byte-header format for array elements.
I looked at that briefly while reviewing the patch but decided it was a
large additional chunk of work and not on the critical path.