Re: Showing parallel status in \df+

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masao Fujii <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Showing parallel status in \df+
Date: 2016-07-13 16:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/12/16 7:11 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'm curious how it's useful and in what way \sf does not accomplish what
> you use \df+ for.

One main use is to see multiple related functions next to each other and
compare their source code. But also because one is used to \df and
wants to see everything there and not in a different format like \sf.

So ways to consolidate that would be supporting wildcards and multiple
results in \sf, and/or the option to show a truncated version of the
source code in \df+, or perhaps a \df++.

> We've already had to change the structure of \df+; I'm not convinced
> that avoiding doing so further now, just to do so again in the next
> release, is actually a better answer than changing it now.

We added a new column related to a new feature, which is hardly changing
the structure.