Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5
Date: 2009-07-14 07:37:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chuck McDevitt wrote:

> Flex 2.5.33 and bison 2.3 are available from mingw for windows.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
>
> Since mingw programs don't need Cygwin installed, these should probably be OK for most Windows people.
>
> But if really needed, flex 2.5.33 could be ported (m4 is already ported).
>
> I'm also wonderings why flex is a problem, since there is a GNUwin32 (native) port of Bison 2.4.1 and m4,
> And Bison uses m4 these days, doesn't it? Perhaps it wouldn't be so hard to update flex to use the same m4 calling that bison uses?

It is part of the MSys utilities, and requires that you have MSys
installed. MSys is in effect a Cygwin equivalent. The flex from MinGW
will NOT run standalone. I have tried.

If you think it can be ported to run standalone (i.e. without either
Cygwin or MSys), have at it. Or take my advice and don't waste time trying.

cheers

andrew