Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5

From: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5
Date: 2009-07-14 06:43:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Flex 2.5.33 and bison 2.3 are available from mingw for windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

Since mingw programs don't need Cygwin installed, these should probably be OK for most Windows people.

But if really needed, flex 2.5.33 could be ported (m4 is already ported).

I'm also wonderings why flex is a problem, since there is a GNUwin32 (native) port of Bison 2.4.1 and m4,
And Bison uses m4 these days, doesn't it? Perhaps it wouldn't be so hard to update flex to use the same m4 calling that bison uses?

Chuck McDevitt