Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

From: Johan Wehtje <joweht(at)tpgi(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Matthew Peter <survivedsushi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Date: 2005-10-15 13:13:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

I doubt you read the rest of the post otherwise I don't think you would
make that comment.

I think there really is a need for a rich DB client that allows Rapid
development and is easy to link to an office Suite. To be useful to a
business a database needs the applications built on top of it, and like
I said if someone can show me a quicker way of doing this than Access
and still lets me use Postgresql for my backend without any great drama,
I would love to hear of it. My experience with Access 2000 and the
latest ODBC drivers has been very positive, but I am wary of Microsoft's
intentions for Access going forward, which I why I asked if anyone knew
of a really viable alternative that I have not tried.

The next best thing that I have tried is Delphi with some of the
libraries available from Sqlmanager or Active Query builder.

But really, for most of the situations I encounter this is a bit like
re-inventing the wheel every time someone wants a cart built. You end up
trying to build an Access like application from the ground up every time
someone wants a Db app. And that seems to me to be taking antipathy
towards Microsoft to a point where it benefits no-one.

Cheers
Johan Wehtje