Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Aly S(dot)P Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-15 13:31:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:34:53AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 10/13/2005 2:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >Since the end reward for all this work would be having to read CATALOGS
> >WRITTEN IN ALL UPPER CASE, none of the key developers seem very
> >interested ...
>
> Just an idea ...
>
> if the release that offers UPPER case folding as an option also makes
> sure that all internal and tool references to system catalog objects are
> properly quoted (as they IMHO should be anyway), then it would be
> reduced to a third party tool/application problem accessing the system
> catalog in a database that has this new config option selected.

The main problem I see is that the most people who are complaining are
people who create their tables as "MixedCaseQuoted" and then refer to
them as Unquoted. Even following the SQL standard precisely will not
fix this, given that behaviour is non-standard also.

Seems to me we'd be better off creating an option
"lowercase_quoted_anyway" which solves everything, at the expense of
being even less compliant.

Once you've loaded the schema, you pg_dump it again and then you can
reload it without the option. All fixed...