Re: Context diffs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Context diffs
Date: 2021-01-04 19:42:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Our developer FAQ mentions context diffs in several places for their
> improved readability:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

I think that's kind of out of date; AFAIK the majority of hackers
think -u format is more readable. (For myself, I've gotten better
at reading -u format, but I still find it illegible for complex
changes. Still, I try to always post patches in -u format to
defer to the majority.)

It is true that some of the tools we use don't work right with
anything except "git diff" output or close equivalents.