Re: FM format modifier does not remove leading zero from year

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FM format modifier does not remove leading zero from year
Date: 2010-01-06 20:29:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com> writes:
> Oracle states clearly in the SQL Reference manual:

> "A modifier can appear in a format model more than once. In such a case,
> each subsequent occurrence toggles the effects of the modifier."

*Toggles* the effect of the modifier? Egad, what drunken idiot chose
that specification?

That's certainly not how PG is interpreting the FM modifier --- we
suppose it applies to just the specifier it's attached to. Still,
we generally assume that Oracle is the authoritative reference for
how to_char() ought to behave, so maybe we should hold our noses
and change it. Problem is that this would inevitably break
practically every existing use of to_date with FM :-( (not to mention
the other modifiers, which I suppose behave that way too?)

Anyway, your example clearly shows that FM ought to strip leading
zeroes in YY, so that change ought to get made.