Re: FM format modifier does not remove leading zero from year

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FM format modifier does not remove leading zero from year
Date: 2010-01-07 04:52:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 1/6/2010 3:29 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Guy Rouillier<guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Oracle states clearly in the SQL Reference manual:
>
>> "A modifier can appear in a format model more than once. In such a case,
>> each subsequent occurrence toggles the effects of the modifier."
>
> *Toggles* the effect of the modifier? Egad, what drunken idiot chose
> that specification?

Eh, tomato, tomahto. If you assume that someone will strip leading
zeroes consistently, the Oracle approach makes sense. That would be a
reasonable assumption to make; why would I strip the zero off the month
but leave it on the day? So, in the unusual case that you want to do
such a thing, you are asked to use a second occurrence of FM to turn
zero suppression back off.

--
Guy Rouillier