Re: Cleanup isolation specs from unused steps

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleanup isolation specs from unused steps
Date: 2019-08-20 01:36:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:02:42AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
>> I have been looking at the isolation tests, and we have in some specs
>> steps which are defined but not used in any permutations.
>
> Hmm, might any of those represent actual bugs? Or are they just
> leftovers from test development?

I cannot yet enter the minds of each test author back this much in
time, but I think that's a mix of both. When working on a new
isolation spec, I personally tend to do a lot of copy-pasting of the
same queries for multiple sessions and then manipulate the
permutations to produce a set of useful tests. It is rather easy to
forget to remove some steps when doing that. I guess that's what
happened with tuplelock-upgrade, insert-conflict-do-update* and
freeze-the-dead.
--
Michael