Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 22:31:41
Lists: pgsql-www

On Monday 16 January 2006 14:17, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> > My concerns with a plan like this are:
> > A) I do not know linux as well as FreeBSD.
>
> 80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why we need
> more FreeBSD help.

Which is why at least 2 more FreeBSD guys (Stefan and myself) were brought
into the fold a while back. I can't speek for Stefan, but I have remained
quite on this while I absorb the implementation specifics of the current
setup.

> > B) Can infrastructure be provided to allow for timely disaster
> > recovery in the
> > event of JD's hosting falling off the face of the earth, (much the
> > same way
> > the pg servers in panama fell off a while ago).
>
> We don't have this *really* in the case of most of the
> infrastructure, and this isn't in place for pgFoundry right now with
> Marc hosting, afaik. It is an issue we should be concerned with
> regardless of who's hosting. That and backup. I've tried to address
> what's happening (or not happening as I'm afraid) with backup before.

Wether we have it today or not is one thing, but making it even harder to do
in the future without having a solid plan is even more troublesome in my
opinion.

Along this note, I know resources have been made available by Stefan and the
company he works for to help address this.

> > C) How do we settle on the distro/version of the month, this
> > fundamental issue
> > within Linux has always left me with a bad taste in my mouth. (this
> > is a
> > personal item and has nothing to say for the quality of FreeBSD or
> > Linux/distro).
>
> Unlike *BSD? Generally there have been distros like Debian and
> Slackware that have been server grade for over 10 years and are
> solid. I think the distro of the month is a unwarranted slam from
> FreeBSD people who don't see that others see BSD the same way (Free,
> Net, Open, etc) just with less choice for their respective
> communities. There are lots of Linux distros. Some are better at
> the desktop, some are better at the server. Coming up with a
> consensus of what to use would be pretty easy to do. That being
> said, I don't foresee a day that we'd use Linux just because
> everything else is running on FreeBSD. Being consistent is a good
> thing.

For example we raninto an issue here were we ended up with 100% distro
lock-in because of a hardware vendor only providing binary kernel modules for
one specific distro and kernel version. Granted that is not a fault with
"linux" in general, but it did mean I had to support some one ofs where
consistency would have been the preferred norm.

> > D) How does doing something like this affect -core in general (I'm
> > not part of
> > core so i have no idea)
>
> I don't think it general does. PgFoundry is isolated away from -core.

Note taken, thanks.