Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 22:32:33
Lists: pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> My concerns with a plan like this are:
>>> A) I do not know linux as well as FreeBSD.
>> 80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why
>> we need more FreeBSD help.
>
> You're probably going to see that split for anything where you compare
> linux with freebsd today, aren't you? Or at least on average.
Well yes which is my point. I am not knocking FreeBSD (well
it's software RAID setup is a PITA but other then that).

I am looking at this from a purely... let's talk about resources
issue and our resources are in Linux except for a small handful
of people.

FYI, I can and do use FreeBSD. I prefer Linux.

> Yes, backup is definitly more important than failover. But failover is
> nice :-)
> But in reality, do we have it? As in failover that works in practice as
> well. Just look at what happened when there was an attempt to move svr2
> (wwwmaster) off unionfs to a new VM *on the same machine*.
> It's very good in principle. I'm sure in a lot of cases it works in
> practice as well. I'm concerned it doesn't always, and that we are very
> relying on certain people to make it work in that case.
If the system is correctly documented and occasionally tested
we should be able to do this.

> preferences, and decide on one. Then stick with it as much as you can
> :-) There is absolutely no need to do a general poll of the whol
> community, since that's definitly going to give you more than you want
> :-)
HAHA... I can see it now:

Vote for which Linux Pgfoundry will run on...

The really bad thing about this is Gentoo would probably win ;)

> Everything else does not run FreeBSD. All www.postgresql.org servers
> except borg (there are 5 in total, IIRC) run Linux today. AFAIK,
> archives and search also run on linux. (And on a mix of distros, which
> is probably not ideal)
Yes Archives and buildfarm both run on Linux. I don't know
about the others.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/