Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, "Darcy Buskermolen" <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: <gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 22:25:45
Lists: pgsql-www

> > My concerns with a plan like this are:
> > A) I do not know linux as well as FreeBSD.
>
> 80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why
> we need more FreeBSD help.

You're probably going to see that split for anything where you compare
linux with freebsd today, aren't you? Or at least on average.

> > B) Can infrastructure be provided to allow for timely disaster
> > recovery in the event of JD's hosting falling off the face of the
> > earth, (much the same way the pg servers in panama fell off a while
> > ago).
>
> We don't have this *really* in the case of most of the
> infrastructure, and this isn't in place for pgFoundry right
> now with Marc hosting, afaik. It is an issue we should be
> concerned with regardless of who's hosting. That and backup.
> I've tried to address what's happening (or not happening as
> I'm afraid) with backup before.

Yes, backup is definitly more important than failover. But failover is
nice :-)
But in reality, do we have it? As in failover that works in practice as
well. Just look at what happened when there was an attempt to move svr2
(wwwmaster) off unionfs to a new VM *on the same machine*.
It's very good in principle. I'm sure in a lot of cases it works in
practice as well. I'm concerned it doesn't always, and that we are very
relying on certain people to make it work in that case.

> > C) How do we settle on the distro/version of the month, this
> > fundamental issue within Linux has always left me with a
> bad taste in
> > my mouth. (this is a personal item and has nothing to say for the
> > quality of FreeBSD or Linux/distro).
>
> Unlike *BSD? Generally there have been distros like Debian
> and Slackware that have been server grade for over 10 years
> and are solid. I think the distro of the month is a
> unwarranted slam from FreeBSD people who don't see that
> others see BSD the same way (Free, Net, Open, etc) just with
> less choice for their respective communities. There are lots
> of Linux distros. Some are better at the desktop, some are
> better at the server. Coming up with a consensus of what to
> use would be pretty easy to do. That being said, I don't

I'd say trivial. Just poll the ppl who'd be expected to admin it for
preferences, and decide on one. Then stick with it as much as you can
:-) There is absolutely no need to do a general poll of the whol
community, since that's definitly going to give you more than you want
:-)

> foresee a day that we'd use Linux just because everything
> else is running on FreeBSD. Being consistent is a good thing.

Everything else does not run FreeBSD. All www.postgresql.org servers
except borg (there are 5 in total, IIRC) run Linux today. AFAIK,
archives and search also run on linux. (And on a mix of distros, which
is probably not ideal)

//Magnus