Re: License question[VASCL:A1077160A86]

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: License question[VASCL:A1077160A86]
Date: 2005-10-05 20:14:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:49:06PM +1000, Neil Dugan wrote:

> If I was to develop a 'C' project that only used the libpg.so library and the
> rest was my own stuff would I need to preserve the copyright to somehow?

Yes, because libpg.so is licensed under the BSD license. Note that
you can do this in a COPYRIGHT file. It just has to be "in all
copies", whatever that means.

People are actually slightly oversimplifying, because when you
distribute you also have to distribute two paragraphs.

The license is available, among other places, from this URL:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

It has _got_ to be the easiest piece of legalese you'll ever
encounter. Read it, and do what it says. There's no long preamble
about rights; there's no provision that you've accepted it just by
having installed the software that was necessary to read the EULA;
there's no provision that breaking the Magic Plastic Wrap has donated
your 1st born to the fires below; there's no provision that, even
though you just paid a million dollars, you can't get your money back
if it doesn't work. But it does say that, if you use the software,
you have to warn your users somehow that some of the code is written
by someone else, and that it's not UC's fault if it doesn't work (so
you can't sue them).

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner