Re: CoC [Final v2]

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, S McGraw <smcg4191(at)mtneva(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CoC [Final v2]
Date: 2016-01-24 22:14:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 24, 2016, at 11:28 AM, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> * PostgreSQL is a community project and takes no position on any
>> political question aside from its usage in the public sector (which we
>> support). We expect communication in community fora to respect this
>> need. The community is neither competent nor interested in resolving
>> more general social or political questions. Nonetheless the core team does make an effort at ensuring an atmosphere where all people, regardless of background feel generally welcome.
>
> I think that would address David Wheeler's concern too.

Alas, no, as it does not address abuse.

> Suppose someone from a divisive organization using PostgreSQL were to make a speech at a PostgreSQL conference about a technical topic. Would that be off-limits just because they are politically divisive as an organization?

If they make hateful statements about members of the community, or to interested parties who then report them to the community, then yes. Otherwise, we’re saying we’re okay with abuse of any kind as long as it’s not on our turf. It’s not politics, it’s hate.

Best,

David