Re: CoC [Final v2]

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: S McGraw <smcg4191(at)mtneva(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CoC [Final v2]
Date: 2016-01-24 19:28:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 01/24/2016 08:13 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
>
> If I could make one proposal for an additional clause:
>>
>> * PostgreSQL is a community project and takes no position on any
>> political question aside from its usage in the public sector (which we
>> support). We expect communication in community fora to respect this
>> need. The community is neither competent nor interested in resolving
>> more general social or political questions.
>>

> That won't work. The community does take positions. A good example is when
> -core denounced the topless dancers at the Russian conference. That
> position was taken without consideration that at a lot of this community
> doesn't care, won't care, or agrees with the right for the Russian
> conference to have those dancers. It was done so because -core wants all
> people to feel welcome.

I don't know that this is really a political resolution though (aside from
being the politics of community governance). I don't see the PostgreSQL
core committee taking a position on the question of topless dancing, just
that it would be inappropriate for some participants and therefore
unwelcome. And that is position is reasonable.

So trying a slightly better wording:

> * PostgreSQL is a community project and takes no position on any
> political question aside from its usage in the public sector (which we
> support). We expect communication in community fora to respect this
> need. The community is neither competent nor interested in resolving
> more general social or political questions. Nonetheless the core team
> does make an effort at ensuring an atmosphere where all people, regardless
> of background feel generally welcome.

I think that would address David Wheeler's concern too.

Suppose someone from a divisive organization using PostgreSQL were to make
a speech at a PostgreSQL conference about a technical topic. Would that be
off-limits just because they are politically divisive as an organization?

The point then is just to note that PostgreSQL is not a political community
and has no intention of becoming one, but that one aspect here is to keep
the peace so to speak.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more